Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Etsy Feature: Moon Stone Designs

It's still not posting exactly as I want it to, but I'll just post things separately. Here's a link to the post with pictures: http://arainydaydesigns.blogspot.com/2011/07/etsy-feature-moon-stone-designs-pics.html

Etsy shop feature: Moon Stone Designs

Tell us a little about yourself.

I am a crazy busy woman! I always seem to tackle the impossible and succeed most of the time. I am a mother of three boys. I live in a house full of BOYS, even our dog. I was a mother at 16 and still managed to finish high school and I went on to college, and I am the only one in my family to get a college degree. I am now a work-at-home mother and home school my 6 year old in between creating and selling my fashion accessories.

What three words would you use to describe yourself?

Creative, responsible, silly

How long have you been crafting?

I have been crafting since I was a child. I was always interested in how to make everything. My mother and grandmothers taught me many things, and I just keep learning new things.

When did you start selling on Etsy and what inspired you to give it a try?

I have been creating and selling as a side job for many years. I opened my Etsy shop but I really took a lot of time to build it up before I got serious. The fleece animal hats really started after my 5 year old had brain surgery and a shunt placement in the spring of 2010. We spent an entire month at the hospital and when it was time to leave, his hair was gone, he had horrific scars, and a bump from the shunt. I really didn't like having to explain to everyone in the grocery store why his head look liked that! People really couldn't help stare. So, I started making fleece animal hats for him. They turned out amazing and I kept making new designs, people really liked them, and then I started selling them on Etsy. I now sell them around the world. I keep making them for my kids and because I love to see people wearing the hats and having a great time. They are the perfect mix of function and fun.
I continue to be connected to the Seattle Children's hospital and I regularly send hats to children there as well. On my site, you can purchase a hat at a discount and I will send it directly to a child at Seattle Children's Hospital on your behalf, or to the hospital of your choice!

Besides creating, what are you passionate about?

I am passionate about my kids and working hard to be sure they have all that they need to become amazing, fully bloomed, adults.

What does your craft space look like? Are you an organized crafter or would you be embarrassed for us to take a peak at your workspace? (Please share a picture if you’re willing)

I am a somewhat organized crafter. I live in a very small house and my studio is also my bedroom. My workspace started in the living room, but I moved it to the bedroom so that I could shut the door! It works great as long as I keep it clean.

Describe your Etsy shop in three words.

Colorful, fun, affordable

Currently, what are your favorite 3 items from your shop?

I always adore my new designs. The two newest designs are the Orca Whale and the Great White Shark. My all time favorite is the lamb, because it is so soft and adorable.

What are some of your favorite Etsy shops?

Butterflygirldesigns: gorgeous glittering battings for spinning wool

TianaCHE: fashion accessories, expensive, but amazing

JustHatched: cool wooden puzzles for little ones

Finally, what suggestions would you make to someone who’s thinking about starting an Etsy shop?

If you have something unique to sell, get some really great photos. Be patient and diligent. Read the forums and connect with others. Don’t give up, just get better! Be bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment