Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Margarita Cupcakes

Since we were having taco salad for my Grandma's birthday lunch we decided to stick with a Mexican theme for dessert. I found these margarita cupcakes on Pinterest. I used this Margarita cupcake recipe , but since I didn't have a box mix I make the cake mix from scratch. So this is the DIY white cake mix recipe I used, but in my opinion it needs a little tweaking because the cake itself was heavy instead of fluffy like a cupcake should be. The lime buttercream frosting was simple to make and delicious to boot! I added a few drops of green and yellow food coloring to give it a lime hue. I topped all of the frosted cupcakes off with a sprinkle of kosher salt which not only kept the true margarita flavor, but also was a nice touch of saltiness to accent the sweetness of the frosting and cake. Finally, what would a baking post be without a few pictures?!
This is the first dozen I frosted. You can kind of see the light green hue in the frosting. Disclaimer: I am certainly not a professional. Although, I'd love to take a cake decorating class at a bakery or craft store someday.

Here are the second dozen...the frosting job turned out a little better on these ones.

So there you have my latest baking adventure. Stay tuned in the next week or so for my detailed report on the wedding invitations. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment